Re: [MELB] City Loop issues

Vaughan Williams <ender2000@mailandnews.com> wrote:
>>1. In AM hours, how am I supposed to get from Flinders St or Spencer
>>street to underground stations? (without going to Richmond/Nth
>>Melb/Jolimont)

> Tram or walk.

Tram - significantly slower than a train
Walk - even more slow - what about older people, or even disabled people
who wish to travel around the CBD quickly and efficiently??

>>2. In PM hours, how am I supposed to get from underground stations to
>>Slinders/Spencer Sts? (again, without going to Rich/Nth Melb/Jolimont
>>first)

> Tram or walk.

Same as above....

> I'd probably run the loop in the same direction all day so that its
> consistent.

But then you have the problem of workers and students being delayed either
on their way to or from work at Flinders St - I agree with the
bi-direction concept, where you will have no wait time between arrival and
departure if you board/alight at underground stations (assuming you go in
in the morning and out in the afternoon!).

The only problem with it is at changeover time (12.45-1) where you could
be waiting quite a while for your train in an underground station -
however you actually get to your destination station at the same time even
though the interval between the last clockwise train and the first
anti-clockwise of the day (or vice versa) is longer in the underground
station...I just find the waiting annoying because I am impatient.

>>Why isn't city circle train reinstated. I know the tram was introduced at
>>a similar time that the train was axed, but it is so much slower, crowded,
>>inconvinient etc.

> Its a bit of a waste to just have a train going around and around. And that
> capacity in the CHL loop really should be used for the Doncaster line and
> extra Epping/Eltham service.

It's evidently not a waste - it was commisioned for exactly the reasons I
have outlined and since it was axed (Jeffed) it has left an annoying gap
in services.  As for the Doncaster line - how about we'll cross that
bridge when we come to it..and I don't know about any extra Epping/Eltham
services either.

>>Lately I am finding CBD travel in Melbourne a major hassle and this
>>problem with the loop doesn't help.

> The CBD isn't THAT big!

I know, but trams are more overcrowded than ever and it's taking longer to
get places.

>>Also...is the reason that Sandringham trains don't run via loop on
>>weekdays (generally) because their aren't enough slots in the Caulfield
>>Loop??? (although their definitely is enough room outside peak times!).

> Consistency. If SOME don't go via the loop, to avoid confusion its better if
> ALL trains of that type go direct to Flinders. The system was designed for
> half and half (actually about 60-40, but close enough) loop and direct
> trains.
> We'd say particular trains should loop and particular ones shouldn't loop,
> so
> that you know where your train will go and whether you need to change (or
> get
> a tram at the other end)

If you have to get a tram you have to add considerable time to your
journey...it's really better to try and let people stay on the same mode
to get to their destination if at all possible (and preferably train).
Yeah, a lot of people would get confused if you had some  Sandy trains
going via loop on weekdays and others not...but they get confused now
anyway...and i think it's better to increase functionality..