Re: [MELB] City Loop issues

"Stacy" <sjudin@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au> wrote in message
3acc6afe@mercury.its.rmit.edu.au">news:3acc6afe@mercury.its.rmit.edu.au...
> Vaughan Williams <ender2000@mailandnews.com> wrote:
> >>1. In AM hours, how am I supposed to get from Flinders St or Spencer
> >>street to underground stations? (without going to Richmond/Nth
> >>Melb/Jolimont)
>
> > Tram or walk.
>
> Tram - significantly slower than a train

Not if you take into account walking to/from platforms - especially at
Spencer Street.

That said, I agree with you that it's a problem, especially for country
train users - same with getting to Spencer Street in the afternoon.

> >>Why isn't city circle train reinstated. I know the tram was introduced
at
> >>a similar time that the train was axed, but it is so much slower,
crowded,
> >>inconvinient etc.
>
> > Its a bit of a waste to just have a train going around and around. And
that
> > capacity in the CHL loop really should be used for the Doncaster line
and
> > extra Epping/Eltham service.
>
> It's evidently not a waste - it was commisioned for exactly the reasons I
> have outlined and since it was axed (Jeffed) it has left an annoying gap

Did you ever use the City Circle train? From what I saw, it was almost
always just about empty.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia