[NSW] Observations from a CityRail client (semi-long).

I have used CityRail quite a few times over recent days, mainly in
connection with the Olympics or travelling to the city with my Olympic
tickets. I am not a railway employee, nor do I photograph trains etc,
though I do take some interest in railway infrastructure. Here are some
observations and comments from a Cityrail client:

* Trains are generally clean and pleasant. One city circle train
carriage was quite extensively grafitied ('tags' appeared to be
similar), though generally trains are cleared of junk and respectable.
I hope they keep up any additional cleaning of trains, particularly as
they move through the network.

* Stations have appeared to be quite spick-and-span. Nice to see
cleaners in green outfits working on station and keeping it
respectable. Once again, keep it up.

* Trains have been running efficiantly and frequently.

* Staff are generally friendly and helpful. Additional staff at major
stations have helped directing patrons and answering questions.

* I like the plasma screens! Perhaps they could convey a little more
information, such as the line-colour of the listed trains. This could
be particularly helpful at stations such as Town Hall, where trains for
different lines depart from the same platform (eg Plat 2).

* The information-display in the Parramatta concourses that show
recommended platforms for particular destination stations are useful
and a quick and handy reference. It would be nice to see similar
information at more stations.

* Signs at stairs for platforms (and elsewhere) indicating what lines
(and stations) trains at that platform generally travel on are helpful.
Perhaps these could put information more into context though. My
suggestion would be to present a network map, with the relevant lines
coloured their appropriate colour (eg red for main north) and all other
lines presented in grey. This would emphasise the line the platform is
for, while better presenting that information in context of the whole
map. Where appropriate directional arrows would indicate which
direction on that line the trains actually run.

* I realise that the boards at Circular Quay are for safety reasons (I
gather to discourage patrons from gathering on the platform), but
perhaps some simple form of decoration (simple painting?) could make
them look a little more attractive for when they are beinng used (the
signs could remain stating that the boards are for safety reasons).

* I am quite impressed by Olympic Park station! It has appeared clean,
and is simple and uncluttered (which is important in terms of visual
amenity). The visual displays could perhaps be fine-tuned, eg scroll
destinations sideways, rather than vertically (as only a few stations
are shown at a time).

* I am a big fan of the two-platform per track approach used at OP. I
think that any new major stations (eg proposed stations on Parramatta-
Chatswood line) should utilise this approach where practical. This
approach makes shifting large numbers of passengers out and moving
large numbers in more comfortable and practical. The extra platform
only needs to be used during heavy-traffic times; at other times only
the one platform need be used. In terms of safety, I was also impressed
by the barriers used at OP to keep intending passengers back from the
platform edge until the train was ready to accept them.

Congratulations to all who have contributed to the success of the train
system so far. Keep it up!!!

Regards, David Bradshaw.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.