Re: Latest news on Speedrail

"David Johnson" <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
39CD4AB7.5A43AAA9@ozemail.com.au">news:39CD4AB7.5A43AAA9@ozemail.com.au...
> Tezza wrote:

> > > Obviously you have never travelled on a VFT style service.
> >
> > Guilty.
> >
> > > Overseas VFT
> > > services run city centre to city centre, so you do not need a City
> > > transfer (eg Tullamarine to Bourke Street)
> >
> > Unless your origin and destination are on each station, yes you do. Just
as
> > you have to get to and from the airport, you have to get to and from the
> > railway station. If you're going to add it to the plane time, you also
have
> > to add it to the train time.
>
> Agreed.  All the figures they are quoting are for Central to Spencer
Street.
> Mr Proctor:  Now provide us with the following time comparisons:
>
> Fair: Penrith to Dandenong

Penrith to Airport (by cab) 1 hour 15 mins - train: 53 mins.

Tullamarine to Dandenong: over an hour and a half. Train: around an hour.

My figures still work. The time taken to get to Central to catch Speedrail
would be comparable with the time taken to get to the Airport (unless you
live south of Mascot, in which case it wouldn't be).

> Unfair: YSSY (Kingsford Smith Airport) to Tullamarine Airport.

Not really. Why is it any different to London-Paris, or Paris-Lyon, or any
other pair where high speed trains have worked?

Dave