Re: Camden Trams

"Frank Eden" <feden@zip.com.au> wrote in message
39f26845.c6a42@nancy.pacific.net.au">news:39f26845.c6a42@nancy.pacific.net.au...

> "Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
> 39f257f5$0$11627$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39f257f5$0$11627$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> >
> > "Frank Eden" <feden@zip.com.au> wrote in message
> > 39f25634.b4a2a@nancy.pacific.net.au">news:39f25634.b4a2a@nancy.pacific.net.au...

> ie
> > >
> > > Should be Narellan where the bank engine was stationed to assist the
> coalie
> > > trains over Currans Hill.
> >
> > I thought the 1 in 19 grade was on the Campbelltown side, ie on the down
> > Narellan.
>
> Yes the down passenger or mixed had a bank engine if needed but the up
> passenger or coalie regularly had a bank engine because of the extra
weight.
> It was common to see a double header with a bank engine depart Narellan on
> the Up although only several loaded coal trucks (bogie) were in the
consist
> and including the milk vat from Camden. If I remember correctly there were
> always about six 20 class tank engines in steam at Campbelltown Loco.
> It is interesting that Camden Council is still pressing for a rail
> connection although along a different route to the original site.
>
> On a different note it is a crying shame that the Maldon to Dombarton line
> was never finished although much of the way & works were well under way as
> it would have provided a much needed access to the Illawarra from the
south
> west area. As it is there is a half completed bridge over the Nepean River
> and the track becoming overgrown by the bush. What a use could have been
> made by an electrified connection between Picton/Campbelltown and Port
> Kembla/Wollongong.

Any
> > > more?
> > >
> > > Not that I remember.
> > > > >
> > > Am I the only one left in this NG who actually helped to maintain this
> line
> > > and travelled on it frequently. Who remembers the "Wig Wag" crossing
> signals
> > > that protected the old Hume Highway level crossing. As far as I know
> there
> > > were only two of these particular type crossing signals in NSW.
> >
> > I saw them on the video, I'd never seen them before. There is still a
> Driver
> > at Delec who used to drive on the Camden Line.

He must be close to retirement then!

The Camden station remnants are incorporated today into the Holden New Car
Sales business who use a wooden bogie passenger car as a sales promotion.

> > > And who remembers the branch line from Richmond to Kurrajong which I
> have
> > > also travelled on?
> > >
> > > And what about Menangle Park Racecourse with the special trains?
> >
> > I wondered about that platform. How long ago was that?

There were still race specials to Menangle trots running in 1951. There was
a large elevated signal box at Menangle Park with Standard Block Instrument
working on either side.