Re: Camden Trams

"Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
39f257f5$0$11627$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39f257f5$0$11627$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> "Frank Eden" <feden@zip.com.au> wrote in message
> 39f25634.b4a2a@nancy.pacific.net.au">news:39f25634.b4a2a@nancy.pacific.net.au...

> > Should be Narellan where the bank engine was stationed to assist the
coalie
> > trains over Currans Hill.
>
> I thought the 1 in 19 grade was on the Campbelltown side, ie on the down
> Narellan.

Yes the down passenger or mixed had a bank engine if needed but the up
passenger or coalie regularly had a bank engine because of the extra weight.
It was common to see a double header with a bank engine depart Narellan on
the Up although only several loaded coal trucks (bogie) were in the consist
and including the milk vat from Camden. If I remember correctly there were
always about six 20 class tank engines in steam at Campbelltown Loco.
It is interesting that Camden Council is still pressing for a rail
connection although along a different route to the original site.

On a different note it is a crying shame that the Maldon to Dombarton line
was never finished although much of the way & works were well under way as
it would have provided a much needed access to the Illawarra from the south
west area. As it is there is a half completed bridge over the Nepean River
and the track becoming overgrown by the bush. What a use could have been
made by an electrified connection between Picton/Campbelltown and Port
Kembla/Wollongong.

> > more?
> >
> > Not that I remember.
> > > >
> > Am I the only one left in this NG who actually helped to maintain this
line
> > and travelled on it frequently. Who remembers the "Wig Wag" crossing
signals
> > that protected the old Hume Highway level crossing. As far as I know
there
> > were only two of these particular type crossing signals in NSW.
>
> I saw them on the video, I'd never seen them before. There is still a
Driver
> at Delec who used to drive on the Camden Line.
>

> > And who remembers the branch line from Richmond to Kurrajong which I
have
> > also travelled on?
> >
> > And what about Menangle Park Racecourse with the special trains?
>
> I wondered about that platform. How long ago was that?
>

> > And the Mittagong to Picton branch line which I have frequently
travelled on
> > both by steam train, rail motor and motor quadricycle.
> > Ah memories!
> >
> > Of course I could tell you about the Galong to Boorowa branch with a
horse
> > caught by his leg in the old type level crossing and the weekly mixed
> > passenger due any minute but that can wait for another day.
>
> So, you're 127?  :-)

Hah! Roster number/age or ?

franco