Re: Sydney Light Rail .... wishful thinking?

Bill Bolton wrote:

> neumannc <neumannc@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I suggest you read the EIS for the cross-city tunnel.  This EIS
> > indicates that after 3 years of construction disruption and $400 million
> > spent on roads infrastructure there will be no significant improvement
> > in public transport!
>
> And it is correct, there will be no significant improvement in east
> west public transport.... any other red herring to drag out?

You obviously haven't read the EIS. The quote is "no significant
improvement
in public transport", that is east-west AND north-south!  This is no red
herring, check the facts.

"The Cross City Tunnel would assist the government in achieving all of
its strategic transport policy objectives with the exception of having a
neutral rather than positive influence on reducing car dependency.
Traffic modelling indicates a minor mode shift to cars within the area
immediately surrounding the Cross City Tunnel. The proposed improvements
to facilities for buses would improve bus travel times. However, the
extent of these improvements is unlikely to significantly increase bus
usage"  page 25, Volume 1 of the EIS.

The proposed improvements to facilities such as T2 lanes etc ould be
implemented now without the Cross City Tunnel being built.

Chris