Re: Riggs Creek Smash (language warning)

On Fri, 24 Nov 2000 09:17:09 +1100, "Tony Gatt" <baulko@tig.com.au>
wrote:

>> Western NSW, when it gets Train Order in the 22nd century, will have
>signals
>> to indicate the position of the points, and it will be interlocked in a
>way
>> that will make this sort of accident very difficult.
>
>Unfortunately, the Western SG was a "throw together" line with all sorts of
>safeworking that was absolutely scary.
>Mini Electric Staff from Tottenham-Brooklyn, Brooklyn-Newport (which wasn't
>even a loop)
>Train order from Newport to Pyrenees with a half hearted arrangement of
>"point indicator" type signalling to enter the loops, but none for departure
>(the loops are trailing). But when you get to Ararat.. nobody really
>interfaced it with any signalling..
>
>Even "point indicator signalling" either side with circuit controllers  and
>signal repeaters (they can't be that expensive can they - couple of relays,
>cable and led signals?) would be safe enough for the use of Annett Keys.. No
>key.. no circuit.
>
>Controlled by the almighty dollar..
>
>Tony.
Part of the problem with the Western line is the philosopy of getting
rid of trackside infrastructue and replacing it with in loco
infrastructure as a money saving exercise.
In reality it doesnt save money at all,as the reduced costs for the
rail owner are more than offset by the increased costs for the rail
operators.
Every loco that has to run over the western line now has to be fitted
with a Motorola Syntrex radio which are now obsolete.
It woulnd be as bad if there was some common agreement about how radio
based train order working should be implemented but there isnt.
Currently we have RAC implementing their very own version of radio
based train order working on the Parkes - broken hill line using
equipment unique to this line which means that again every loco
needing to run over this line will need to carry yet another special
NSW radio.
If it wants to go into the Meto area it will need to carry yet another
Metronet Radio.
Australin railways are still suffering from exactly the same problem
that we had back in 1800s when we had the guage differance problem.
Every state system is still doing their own thing , not giving a stuff
about the national good , or about what their unique state based rules
are doing to the competetivness of interstate rail operators.

Im glad that the aviation industry isnt State Govt controlled.
MD