Re: Riggs Creek Smash

I think it is about time Freight Australia had a good look at there
safety or there lack of, as all they seam to care about is getting the
train there on time.  There safety record is shit.  They don’t have the
locos to pull there trains, but they keep crashing them, and smashing
up there wagons.  Some of the more known incidents so far are:
Ararat
Tongala
Oaklands
Riggs Creek

In article <3a148b28$0$19427$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
  "Rod [comtrain]" <Comtrain@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> about 0120 today 9358 whilst crossing 9357 on the Single BG line at
> unattended Riggs Creek Loop, collided with the rear of  9358 whilst
> attempting to re-enter the single line! 9358 had not yet continued on
its
> way, and had stooped short to affect the changeover of crews.
> A71 0n point was severely damaged, and the Wodonga Crew ex 9358 were
not
> injured [apart from their pride, I guess] Reports indicate that the
Dynon
> Crew were also OK, although not having time to brace against the
collision
> were shaken up.
> End of special report.
> Having only just retired from Wodonga I can assure you, that Riggs
Creek at
> midnight, with a tired crew, who not only make up their trains, but
shunt
> the individual sidings along the way, at unmanned stations, is a very
> dangerous place. Privatisation and cost cutting were the real cause
of this
> accident. I think that at the time of the accident, both radios might
have
> been operated. The crews exchanging orders, etc, and remarking on the
> condition of each others trains. The second person concentrating on
the
> shunt at Benalla only 25 mins away. THe Driver on the Train to base
with
> details of the cross and reading back his order [verify].The cab
light would
> be on, as the train order is read back on the move! I never worked
out, why
> the phone was not placed in a position where the 2nd man could use
it, with
> a desk light, to allow the Driver to do what he is paid for..Drive.
> The Railways will cover up, like they always do, and some clown-
burocrat
> will fix the problem, by ordering all phonework to take place whilst
the
> trains are still standing. My last night shiftr on this train, saw me
> verifying the order at Glenrowan, after pushing the call through to
train
> control at Riggs Creek loop. In my oppinion that would be a "going
nowhere"
> answer.
> cheers
> Rod [comtrain]