Re: Privatisation of Australia's railways

On 22 Nov 2000 23:53:45 +1050, "Skyfox" <locopads@senet.com.au> wrote:

>> > Is the NRC (the grand experiment) losing money?
>> Yes
>
>Bucketloads!
>

>> > Despite the all the noise about multinationals, US railway companies
>> > have a history of making money. By successfully generating freight
>> > revenue.
>>
>> Not really, ATN is in trouble(due to its parent company mismanagement
>> in New Zealand and UK)
>

>> and ASR didn't live up to everyone's
>> expectation.
>>
>Please, what expectations did you have?
>Alice Springs - Darwin consortium member, BHP (OneSteel) railroad system
>operator (Whyalla system), Westrail consortium member, increased grain
>tonnages, profitability, steady growth in workforce numbers, increased
>number of locomotives ......
>Just exactly what expectations did you have?  Free steam hauled Gunzel
>specials to the Barossa ?  Charity freight operations (we will pay you, if
>you allow us to haul your train) like ........ No, maybe we shouldn't go
>down that path ............
>

>> --
Indeed ASR and Tasrail are the only two operators who are actually
making any money.
Its a bit too early to comment on FA , but I suspect that they are
also making dough.
One of the interesting things about all these operators is that they
have all opted to NOT buy new locos .

MD