Re: Privatisation of Australia's railways

> > Is the NRC (the grand experiment) losing money?
> Yes

Bucketloads!

> > Despite the all the noise about multinationals, US railway companies
> > have a history of making money. By successfully generating freight
> > revenue.
>
> Not really, ATN is in trouble(due to its parent company mismanagement
> in New Zealand and UK)

> and ASR didn't live up to everyone's
> expectation.

Please, what expectations did you have?
Alice Springs - Darwin consortium member, BHP (OneSteel) railroad system
operator (Whyalla system), Westrail consortium member, increased grain
tonnages, profitability, steady growth in workforce numbers, increased
number of locomotives ......
Just exactly what expectations did you have?  Free steam hauled Gunzel
specials to the Barossa ?  Charity freight operations (we will pay you, if
you allow us to haul your train) like ........ No, maybe we shouldn't go
down that path ............