Re: SCT to Perth, questions

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 00:38:21 +1100, "Tezza"
<tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

>"Andrei Souprounovich" <andrei@axs.com.au> wrote in message
>3A1BB520.46CFBF83@axs.com.au">news:3A1BB520.46CFBF83@axs.com.au...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Noticed today(Wed) at Coca Cola bottler Moorabbin: SCT B-Double being loaded
>with coke cans and then leaving the property at 8.15pm for Perth. I assume the
>truck'll get there anywhere between 8.15am Friday and and 4pm. It needs to be
>there by afternoon, since the local trucks need to get the product to the
>stores before the weekend.
>>
>> If the truck gets there by 8.15am Friday, then that means a distance of 3500
>km covered in 36hrs - average speed of 100km/h.
>
>Obviously breaking the law.

Absolutely , and its the same between Melb and Sydney as well.
Some trucking companies guarantee 10 hours delivery time , (95 km/h
average)
More importantly, why are there no police on the Hume highway during
the nights to stop this sort of thing.

Currently , the TWU and the truckies are trying to get minimum freight
rates legislated and also a compulsory code of conduct from freight
forwarders to stop this sort of thing.
And what do you think the federal Govts attitude is to all this .
No way mate , any kind of compulsory minimum freight rates or codes of
conduct would be anti competetive.
A lot of truckies are stuffed.
Their house is mortgaged to the hilt to pay for the truck.
They cant sell the truck without a massive loss.
There are also too many truckies for the work offereing and the
freight forwarders know this.
Its a vicious circle,but one thats in the interests of the Freight
Forwarders and the feds as it keeps freight rates low and the only
cost is the rising road toll caused by truck crashes,but as this cost
is a cost to the State Govts who cares.

MD