Re: Travel patterns (was Re: New form of rail transportation)

> What about a half decent ferry service that connects Williamstown,
> Footscray, Southgate, Port Melbourne and St Kilda or even Frankston.
Not one
> of those touristy things but a proper ferry service using "Rivercats"
> (Yarracats/Baycats) like in Sydney and Brisbane.

I've often thought about this as a possibility. Certainly once
Docklands fills up with apartments it could well be a good idea. Parts
of docklands (the far western bits away from the new tram) are going to
be poorly served by PT and a ferry would be a good way of addressing
that.

Also, ferries are about the sexiest form of public transport there
is....

I wonder if there would be enough passengers to justify it. Could be
particularly useful for cross town links like williamstown to st kilda -
 save people going into the city and out again.

Might also be an alternative to restoring the Mornington line - run a
ferry dromana - mornington - frankston or maybe even all the way from
queenscliff.

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.