Re: Travel patterns (was Re: New form of rail transportation)

Anthony Morton <amorton@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
8uvdgg$1g8$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:8uvdgg$1g8$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...

> >> It certainly would, but I can imagine the sort of thing that would
happen.
> >> Joe in Frankston is looking for a job as a computer programmer and sees
> >> one listed in Nunawading.  Previously he might not have thought of
working
> >> so far away, but the new train service makes this a possibility.  So he
> >> gets the job and travels from Frankston to Nunawading each day.
Meanwhile
> >> Joanna in Nunawading, who applied for the same job but narrowly missed
out,
> >> finds a similar job in Frankston shortly afterwards that might
otherwise
> >> have been taken by Joe.  So you have two people travelling for two
hours a
> >> day entirely needlessly.
>
> Peter Berrett <pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
> >But why did they take the job in Nunawading and not get a job nearby?
Better
> >two hours a day than being unemployed.
>
> Jobs aren't all advertised at the same time.  Making it easier to travel
long
> distances makes it more likely that people will apply for jobs far away
rather
> than wait a couple of weeks for a local position.
>
> TM

If they get the poition far away there is still nothing stopping them from
changing to the local poition when it comes available.

As I see it - yes people may choose to commute further to get to work but
that is becuase they had more public transport options than they had
previously. I see no harm in giving people more public transport options and
letting them decide where they want to work and live rather than forcing
them to work locally by providing poor public transport..

cheers Peter