Re: Travel patterns (was Re: New form of rail transportation)

> >How about a nuclear powered monorail while you're at it. Do you know how
> >many people travel from Nunawading to Cranbourne?
>
> I just checked the latest census.  45 people out of a total workforce of
> 42,449 in Blackburn, Nunawading and Mitcham work in Cranbourne.  That's
> around 0.1 per cent.  By comparison 6,996 people work in the Melbourne
CBD.

> Here's some more numbers culled verbatim from the census journey-to-work
> figures, which are relevant to the question of how much long-distance
> circumferential travel there is in the eastern suburbs compared with local
> and radial travel.

Anthony,
             I am happy with your figures, but please consider how peoples
work habits would change, if radial transport was installed.
I lived in Melbourne, actually in Greensborough for 20 years!. I worked in
Fawkner, but got sick and tired of Peak hour traffic every morning and
night. I am convinced 90% of the Ford Workers live between Thomastown and
Watsonia. So I changed jobs. My next choice was in Melbourne, and after a
few years I transferred to Eltham. My choices were totally related to Public
Transport availability and then later on I had to return to travelling into
the City again, as a Career move.
Don't you think that running a Train Service from ...say Nunawading to
Frankston, would cause many hundreds of people, to rethink their employment
possibilities.
I believe that rotten bus services and peak hour traffic jams would be the
VERY REASON that so few people according to your census travel radially.
Then again Fitsimmonds lane is bumper to bumper from 4 till 7 every
nite...maybe they all go fishing along the Yarra.!
Rod