Re: The train makes a strong case for the car

Ben wrote:

> I completely agree, I find it fascinating going through industrial areas,
> with lots ex/current sidings and different trains campared to what I
> normally see out my way.

Me Too.

> I dont like the ghostly feeling off the unloved
> deserted stations though. A few stations on the western side of Melbourne in
> particular.

Me Too again, for the stations on the Doomben line.

> I love seeing the great aussie backyard with grass, hills hoist, lemmon
> tree, maybe a barbecue/incinerator in the corner and a totem tennis pole for
> good measure.

Ah! I was brooding about this the other day. When I first moved to
Brisbane I loved the way that backyards opened up on to the right of
way. Sometimes there'd be a fence with a wee gate, sometimes not. People
would have neat fruit and vege gardens there, complete with a stand of
banana trees. Sometimes there'd be prize rosebushes, marrows and so on
as well. People would mow right up to the right-of-way!

Now, of course, we have miles of anti-noise panels covered with grafiti,
barbed wire fences with thick mesh, and huge concrete culverts covered
in grafiti.

Bugger it. I want to live in the past some more.

--
Rob K