Willamstown and short branch problem

Willamstown is similar to Alanmein line where the line is short and may
or maynot be profitable to run....

> 1. Line closure, with replacement by frequent (10 min) buses to
>Newport.

This NEVER work. Line closure never helps.

> 2. Replacement of trains south of Newport with light rail,
terminating at
> the end of
> Ferguson St or along Nelson Pl.   Ideally the tram line would be
extended to
> the city
> to provide faster service to the CBD.   Maybe the line could cross
the Yarra
> south of
> West Gate Bridge and run along Williamstown Rd until joining the 109
light
> rail route.

Good idea...but I would carry out survey and see if light rail can
carry the load. Part of the reason Upfield line never convert to
lightrail is because Upfield line have rather large patroange then most
lightrail lines.

> 3. Divert rail line underground and build a new station under
Ferguson St
> near Douglas St.
> Expensive, and some areas lose service, so feeder buses would still be
> needed.

4. Extend the railway line to somewhere near Willamstown's
shops/resturant. (IIRC there was a branch to Transfield but now removed)

Promote the district as a tourist/resturant district to encourage
visitors.

And let Werribee trains run express Newport-Footscray-North melbourne
Willamstown trains as a feeder service stops all station all the way to
city.

--
Cheers

Railway Rasputin