Re: The train makes a strong case for the car

"Rob Kearey" <mammal@optushome.com.au> wrote in message
3A131ACC.DF693BAA@optushome.com.au">news:3A131ACC.DF693BAA@optushome.com.au...
> Ben wrote:
>
> > I completely agree, I find it fascinating going through industrial
areas,
> > with lots ex/current sidings and different trains campared to what I
> > normally see out my way.
>
> Me Too.
>
> > I dont like the ghostly feeling off the unloved
> > deserted stations though. A few stations on the western side of
Melbourne in
> > particular.
>
> Me Too again, for the stations on the Doomben line.
>
> > I love seeing the great aussie backyard with grass, hills hoist, lemmon
> > tree, maybe a barbecue/incinerator in the corner and a totem tennis pole
for
> > good measure.
>
> Ah! I was brooding about this the other day. When I first moved to
> Brisbane I loved the way that backyards opened up on to the right of
> way. Sometimes there'd be a fence with a wee gate, sometimes not. People
> would have neat fruit and vege gardens there, complete with a stand of
> banana trees. Sometimes there'd be prize rosebushes, marrows and so on
> as well. People would mow right up to the right-of-way!
>
> Now, of course, we have miles of anti-noise panels covered with grafiti,
> barbed wire fences with thick mesh, and huge concrete culverts covered
> in grafiti.
>
> Bugger it. I want to live in the past some more.

Well you dont have too, just go for a ride on the Hurstbridge line in
Melbourne and you can see it all. When I wrote the post I was thinking of a
particular backyard that I pass most days on the train. We dont AFAIK have
anti-noise panels here, only on Freeways.

 I suppose the Belgrave/Lilydale/Glen Waverly are the same too.

Ben Smith