Re: Freeride for late train/trams [Vic...where else:-)]

Melbourne's buses services are rather different to the rest of the
Australia, buses are feeder service to trains and trams. There aren't that
many buses are running so call pricipal route like what Brisbane and Sydney
have.

And this made some suburban like Doncaster/Rowville and Knox City a public
transport hell as these suburbans recieve poor bus service. They either have
to take a  long and slow feeder service to nearest railway station or have
to take those very infrequent direct to city service. It's almost unlikely
these place would recieve new rail lines.

(Tram lin for Knox city and that's it)

Peter Parker <parkerp@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
3930cf83@news.alphalink.com.au">news:3930cf83@news.alphalink.com.au...

> Michael Kurkowski <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
> 8F41DC83FtelstraNews@139.130.239.94">news:8F41DC83FtelstraNews@139.130.239.94...
> > I think the issue here is, WHY does the bus have to go THROUGH the level
> > crossing, if it's supposed to be feeding the train service?
>
> Ideally bus routes should take the shortest route between several rail
> stations, not unlike Route 733.
> This makes PT more suitable for the vast majority of people's travel
> patterns throughout the day that are
> not CBD-based.  It also overcomes the highly radial nature of Melbourne's
> fixed rail PT infrastructurere
>  east of Glenferrie Rd and anywhere north of the city.   Thus on most
> middle-suburban routes, there will
> be crossings of two and perhaps four level crossings.  To reduce delays,
> buses should never see a red light
> at anything but at a level crossing, or perhaps a busy pedestrian
crossing.

> The biggest  problem of today is that buses are competing against trains
and
> trams,
> > rather than their real competitor, the car.
Not to mention they are slow....

This have something to do with most buse companies aren't that interested in
running a proper service, they just run what they've got now without any
changes and update nor user freindlyness, I guess all these bus companies
just want to get state government's huge public transport subsidies and not
interested in putting any effort at all.

Cheers
James