Re: Freeride for late train/trams [Vic...where else:-)]

trecker@optusnet.com.au (John Wayman) wrote in
<392f9f22$0$2617@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>:

>Thank god for that! The route I drive on (route 627) is more than 5
>minutes late most of the day, mostly due to delays at boom gates and
>traffic lights. It would be easier just to allow free travel on all
>buses!
>
>All bus routes will need to be reviewed and achievable running times and
>timetables set. This will be important, especially since many bus routes
>run down streets where the speed limit is to be reduced to 50km per hour
>from January.
>
>The government will have to buy a few more buses, revise timetables and
>arrange changes in traffic light cycles for operators if on time
>operation is to be attempted.
>
>The Met would have to pay out each time that bloody steel train crawls
>through McKinnon, Ormond, or Glen Huntly holding up traffic.
>
>Who will pay when the bus service is delayed through stuck boom gates?

I think the issue here is, WHY does the bus have to go THROUGH the level
crossing, if it's supposed to be feeding the train service? The biggest
problem of today is that buses are competing against trains and trams,
rather than their real competitor, the car. The bus should feed from
suburbs not serviced by rail, to the nearest railway station, to allow
people rail access to the city. Buses should also run to a more regular
timetable. If this is the case, people will USE public transport. Instead
we see stupidity like the City-Ringwood bus service. The train is quicker,
and the bus then achieves nothing.

Regards

Michael

--
     Email: michael {DOT} kurkowski {AT} gunzel {DOT} net
          (Any mail sent to usenet.spam@gunzel.net

   "VKC to all units, Warning to all units, there is a gunzel
         on the loose, approach with EXTREME caution!"