Re: Freeride for late train/trams [Vic...where else:-)]

Michael Kurkowski <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
8F41DC83FtelstraNews@139.130.239.94">news:8F41DC83FtelstraNews@139.130.239.94...
> I think the issue here is, WHY does the bus have to go THROUGH the level
> crossing, if it's supposed to be feeding the train service?

Ideally bus routes should take the shortest route between several rail
stations, not unlike Route 733.
This makes PT more suitable for the vast majority of people's travel
patterns throughout the day that are
not CBD-based.  It also overcomes the highly radial nature of Melbourne's
fixed rail PT infrastructurere
 east of Glenferrie Rd and anywhere north of the city.   Thus on most
middle-suburban routes, there will
be crossings of two and perhaps four level crossings.  To reduce delays,
buses should never see a red light
at anything but at a level crossing, or perhaps a busy pedestrian crossing.

The biggest  problem of today is that buses are competing against trains and
trams,
> rather than their real competitor, the car. The bus should feed from
> suburbs not serviced by rail, to the nearest railway station, to allow
> people rail access to the city. Buses should also run to a more regular
> timetable. If this is the case, people will USE public transport. Instead
> we see stupidity like the City-Ringwood bus service. The train is quicker,
> and the bus then achieves nothing.

Quite right - as also pointed out in Paul Mees' book.

Peter