Re: Pix of preserved Brisbane trams

Clive Mottram wrote:

> I have added another new section in my home page showing preserved
> Brisbane trams.  The pix include Phoenix cars, a drop centre, tenbench and a
> California combination.

A note for your text on that page. The first Brisbane tram services
opened in August 1885 and were horse trams. Electric trams were
introduced in June 1897. The system was privately owned from its 1885
opening until 1923 when it was taken over by the Brisbane Tramway Trust.
Ownership passed to the Brisbane City Council on December 1 1925. The
BCC engaged on a major improvement of the system, immediately beginning
to build large numbers of the "drop centre" class. The first FM car,
number 400, was introduced in 1938 and production of this model
continued until 1959, then of course eight more were built in 1964. The
system reached its maximum extent of about 110 kms in 1959 when the
O'Keefe Street connection between Ipswich Rd depot and the Mt Gravatt
and Belmont lines opened.

--
David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?