Re: Tangara, how many of the cars are powered in a set? was Re: Alstom for Hillside/Yarra tram [Melbourne Aust]

> Since someone decided to give an ambiguous answer to your question, and
> no-one else decided to clarify it:
>
> 4 cars per Tangara or 4D set, arranged in D-N-N-D config. Where N = non
> controlling motor car, D = driving trailer. In which case, two cars are
> powering out of the four, the middle two. When a Tangara is arranged as
> an 8 car set, it's still the same as far as I know.
>
> When a 4D is arranged with a comeng the power cars are T-M*-M*-T-M*-T-M*
> where on the first 4 cars, T represents driving trailer, M
> non-controlling motor. The last 3 cars (Comeng), M represents
> controlling-motor (classed C in NSW), and T is non-driving trailer (same
> in NSW). * represents motors driving. The 4D might have "D" coding for
> the driving-trailers, I'm not sure on that one.

The 4D has the numbers and coding:
6000T - 5000M - 5002M - 6002T

>From the Addenda to the Working Timetable:

M - Electric Multiple Unit Motor Carriage
T - Electric Multiple Unit Trailer Carriage

A Driving compartment is located in the M class car, expect in the case
of the Double Deck (4D) train which has the Driving compartment located
in the T class car.

For the same reason 6001T and 5001M were not used the computer with all
the fleet information on it can handle only 3 car trains and the codes T
and M.

(the 4D train is treated as M - 6000T - 5000M - 5002M - 6002T - M, and I
think the phantom M cars are 6001 and 5001 or something stupid like
that.  I think the Harris Greaser is treated as 794M - T - 797M with the
T car being a phantom.)

--

Chris Gordon

http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig