Re: Tangara, how many of the cars are powered in a set? was Re: Alstom for Hillside/Yarra tram [Melbourne Aust]

"Clark F. Morris, Jr." wrote:

> How many of the cars in a Tanagara set are powered?

Since someone decided to give an ambiguous answer to your question, and
no-one else decided to clarify it:

4 cars per Tangara or 4D set, arranged in D-N-N-D config. Where N = non
controlling motor car, D = driving trailer. In which case, two cars are
powering out of the four, the middle two. When a Tangara is arranged as
an 8 car set, it's still the same as far as I know.

When a 4D is arranged with a comeng the power cars are T-M*-M*-T-M*-T-M*
where on the first 4 cars, T represents driving trailer, M
non-controlling motor. The last 3 cars (Comeng), M represents
controlling-motor (classed C in NSW), and T is non-driving trailer (same
in NSW). * represents motors driving. The 4D might have "D" coding for
the driving-trailers, I'm not sure on that one.

Regards

Michael