Re: [NSW Ci-tyra-il] Airport Link

Its a bit tragic.  The trains from the Airport Line either proceed around
the City Circle and on to Ashfield to be terminated or are terminated at
Central BEFORE traversing the City Circle (and blocking the City Circle
Inner [CCI] in the process).  At least if St James retained its terminating
facilities (clear if the CCI and CCO) the trains could have made some
progress into the city while being quickly returned to Turrella.

I assume the turnaround facilities at Redfern (platform 10) and the down
Illawarra to the west of Redfern are too busy to allow this manoeuvre thus
the onworking to Ashfield?  Perhaps the location of the old Macdonaldtown
car sheds should be used for a terminating road, clear of the west local
lines, or perhaps even Petersham's terminating road could be resurrected.
Why there is even enough space to slew the down local towards the up
Illawarra local just to the west of Redfern and squeeze in a terminating
road.

I must be sleep posting!

Chris
Gnome 412 <gnome412@hotmail.com> wrote in message
2lyQ4.13047$PL4.313420@ozemail.com.au">news:2lyQ4.13047$PL4.313420@ozemail.com.au...

Dave Proctor wrote in message ...

>Just on this, with the new timetables starting with the first trains on 21
>May, but with the airport line being unavailabel for most of the day, how
>will they handle trains that day that are supposed to run via the airport?
>Obviously run them via Sydneham, but how will they handle them with the
>different running times? Put into place an STN for the day (great for the
>first ay of a timetable, don't use it!)
>
>Any thoughts or actual knowledge?

I finally got around to reading through the weekend timetable that applies
in Sydney from Sunday 21 May. Basically, it's unchanged.
The Airport line is served by a new service which runs from Turrella at
intervals of 11/19 minutes. Half the trains terminate at Central platform 21
and half continue around the City Circle, then express to Ashfield.
The trains are all tabled to use five six-car sets, with a little humour
added by the choice of Run numbers 707, 717, 727, 737, 738, 747, 757, 767,
777, 787 and 797.
A typical hour looks like this .
787T727V707V747V
Turrelladep.12:0712:1812:3712:48
Centralarr.12:2312:3412:5313:04
dep.12:25-----12:55-----
787U707W
Circular Quay..12:32forms13:02forms
Centralarr.12:3912:4513:0913:15
dep.12:4013:10
Ashfieldarr.12:5213:22
787V707X
Ashfielddep.12:5913:29
Centralarr.13:1013:40
dep.13:1113:41
747W787W767Y707Y
Circular Quay..13:1813:48
Centralarr.13:2513:55
dep.13:1513:2613:4513:56
Turrellaarr.13:3313:4314:0314:13
forms13:3713:4814:0714:16
Run 777ARun 717A

BTW, is this the first regular service to Mascot using a 757?
Rgds