Re: [NSW] Numbers on Signals

Jane Campbell wrote:

> NS - actually it stands for Newcastle to Sydney (or vice versa) I read it in
> a safeworking manual once.

Sorry, you are very far from it. NS stands for North Suburban nothing else
SH is for the North Shore

the following list of some of the identifications in the Sydney metrop region.
SM Sydenham
LD is for lindfield,
GD is for Gordon
HY is for Hornsby
BN Blacktown
ST Strathfield
SY Sydney
NSY North Sydney

The above is usually the suffix before the actual signal number and this
identifies that this signal is controlled by a particular signal box or now
days, complexes. More on that later.

These are the ones I can remember quickly, but I will consult some of the local
appendixes for more info.  It is not always easy to remember all signal names or
identifications. Some of the other drivers in Sydney can help to compile a
complete list

Stuart Ellis