Re: [Vic] Fast (160km/h) Train to country Vic.

In article <dPYB4.902$M74.637845@news0.optus.net.au>,
dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> Richard (richard_snook@primus.com.au) won a Nobel Prize for literature
by writing:
> > Don't forget tilt mechanisim would increase the cost per carriages
by
> > 15%(IIRC).
>
> But would increase the speed on curves by up to 30%.
>
> Cheers
> David

In NSW, Qld maybe but you really don't need tilt mechanism installed on
Victorian trains. Most of the lines are relatively straight. As with
Bendigo/Ballarat or Mildura(if we are lucky too see trains running on
this line) lines some modification(straighten/grade easing) would easily
bring up train speed.

However interstate trains like XPT to Sydney or Overland to Adelaide
would be better off with tilt mechanism. Due to curvey tracks in parts
of NSW and Adelaide Hills area.

--
Cheers
James