Re: [Vic] Fast (160km/h) Train to country Vic.

someone wrote:
> >  Don't  forget tilt mechanisim would increase the cost per carriages by  15%(IIRC).
>David Bromage wrote:
> But would increase the speed on curves by up to 30%.

exactomundo!!..Even if we accept that the powers that be will be blinkered
sufficiently (or lent on by the other lobbyists!!) to only allow piecemeal
track adjustments (thinking they are paying enough lip service to shut the
whingers up!!)..to get track speeed upto 160..nominal...yes and all the
crossing and signals changes that are required....plus some tidying upof city
access throughthe yards..I mean itd mean a lot tosave five minutes through
here...it al adds up :-)

But if we have the clever trains capable of exploiting the track instead of
being intimidated by it...then an extra..well even 20-25 on some curves will
pick up a couple of minutes here and there...then we start approaching a trip
time from Bendigo of just over an hour...the busses and cars can kiss the
patronage goodbye...thats comaprable to a journey from Frankston to the CBD.

Once patronage is absolutely demonstrable (even to the worst of cynics)  then
it will be politically acute to push this line. Some more track improvements
and some more time shaved.

If we buy yesterdays standard then that is as good as it will get for the next
15-20 years!! :-((....if we get something with potential built in..then we
have a good investment.

The "Crusaris" type of train..comes in basic form as a two car DMU....as
patronage increases add centre cars for extra bum-room...relatively cheap form
of volume expansion.

With clever planning and execution there are many options for use of existing
Sprinters ...we dont need more sprinters..or explorers...where is the long
term potential of these...none really .... nothing to getreally excited about
or get patrons rushing to the stations.

The future of rail is not to match the cars or busses..its to make them a very
poor second choice.

For those trapsing out the ol population diatribe...Sweden has only 8-9
million...they seem to have an understanding of rail!!  Put some decent train
services out to Bendigo and Ballarat...and people will move there. If there is
a viable argument for better train services now..put some real advances in
place and the equation becomes even easier.Release the sprinters to do what
they do better..and you can pick up services in other areas. This isnt
Einstein stuff..a reorganisation of priorities and assignment of resources.

You could almost be exreely cynical and wonder who is really behind the
recommendation that train travel only be set at 160???...hmmmmm.....thats too
easy to compete with...raise the bar to 180-200 effective (allowing for tilt
and better track) ..and some road pundits and all their cronies might get a
tad jittery!!...hmm who is set to gain by Rail failing???...well done all
..you all get an ice-cream :-))

It might actually be intersting now that those running the trains have no
other vested interest..time will tell.