Re: [Vic] Fast (160km/h) Train to country Vic.

In article <38D81A7B.C072DDF5@primus.com.au>,
Richard <richard_snook@primus.com.au> wrote:

> james_ccj@my-deja.com wrote:
> >
> > 160 kph is good enough to bring rail into a better position.
>
> better..yes...good enough position to extract bums out of cars into
>trains???

Maybe:-)

> Also Bendigo/Ballarat/TGeelong/Traralgon lines have some curves and
grades,
> > but not as serious as NSW or Qld. With a little bit of track
> > improvements can get conventional trains running at high speed.
>
> high speed =???kph

160kph from the start. Traralgon line  and portions of the Geelong line
maybe capable of faster speed(180kph possible??). But in order to
accelerate N class and A class loco and carriages to run at higer speed,
some modification may needed like cab signal,bogies,engines,brakes,
better level crossing protection and at platforms of smaller stops.

Ballarat line and Bendigo line need some track upgrades but overall to
lift speed from 115 to 160 kph or higher would cost less then what
Newcastle-Sydney or Sydney to Lithgow/Wollongong, Brisbane to Rocky.

Tilt trains are not needed in Vicotria as far as intrastate trains are
concern. If V/line willing to run fast interstate train to Sydney,
Adelaide then tilt trains would needed due to curvey tracks in NSW and
SA.

> Why not today...how many times do we need to go and buy these
trains...doesnt
> it make some sense to acquire equipment that has some longetivity
built in.
> The "Crusaris" appears to be a total update of the Explorer type
product.
> Again if the infrastructure is to handle 160kph conventional equipment
...why
> not employ some tilts..and up the speed where able??
>
> if an hour off the trip starts to get people intersted...an hour and a
half
> might get them positively excited!!
>
> cheers >:~)) Richard

I'm totally  agree with you! I really would like to see something
different,I'm not really asking for something like TGV or ICE,just
something different like QR's tilt train or those stylish "modular"
trains recently introduced to UK. I really don't want to see the same
looking trains all over the country....

Mechanically can be the same or similar to reduce maintenance cost but
they can surely do a lot better with the exterior. Currently NSW and WA
have similar looking trains, if we(VIC) and Qld(currently looking at
ordering new high speed DMUs) also order something similar there would
be 4 states having the same looking trains... just like NR class.

Here is another Explorer(yawn!)........

--
Cheers
James