Re: Burke Rd (VIC) Crossing

John Duncan McCallum wrote:

> The then MMTB used spring loaded crossings at the intersections of
> Swanston Sts and
> Flinders St, Collins and Bourke Sts. They were supposed to reduce noise,
> but in fact,
> made more noise than the present types.

I disagree.

I regularly stood at those intersections to photograph and see the
trams, and W class trams were quieter over those crossings than over
other crossings not so equipped.

But PCC car 980 was far quieter over either type of crossing than the
Ws, and when the Zs came along, they were much quieter too.

And so the resilient crossings were removed.

And now the few remaining Ws crash and bang their way over those same
intersections just like they always did!!!!

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand