Re: First Automatic signal?

> From: signal_spotter@my-deja.com
> Newsgroups: aus.rail
> Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:46:37 GMT
> Subject: Re: First Automatic signal?
>
> Just to clear up the definition regarding route signalling. I'm not
> sure where it got it's name from but that's irrelevant.

As a VR driver,
> when you approached a VR signal with a particular aspect showing, it
> told you what speed to do till the next signal. Correct??

No, not correct, what speed is clear normal speed (G/R) ?

Well in NSW,
> QLD, UK if a driver approaches a particular aspect it gives them an
> advance warning of a signal ahead. So if they approach a caution aspect
> that means to them to start braking because the next signal is at stop.
> It doesn't tell them to do 50 kph till the next signal.
In Vic a top yellow (Y/R) does the same thing, it doesn't give you a speed
it just tells you the next signal is at stop, same as in the US, judging
braking so that you can stop at the next signal is left to the driver
without telling him a speed what's your point?

Of course this all changed when signal designers started to drive trains
with approach clearing, speed proving etc and all of the other stuff they
have added to the system

That's the
> fundamental difference between speed signalling and route (for want of
> a better word) signalling.

So what's the difference?