Re: First Automatic signal?

> From: signal_spotter@my-deja.com
> Newsgroups: aus.rail
> Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:14:51 GMT
> Subject: Re: First Automatic signal?
>

> check out http://www.trainweb.org/railwaytechnical/sigtxt1.html which
> explains route signalling and
> http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig/signalling/3pst/ which explains speed
> signalling.
>
> Ian

The Vic page, with all due respect was written by a non employee and in fact
I did a little proofreading/correction on this page, it is not an
explanation of route signaling.

The second page you mention is typical of a non US person trying to
understand American route signaling, that is, they get it  quite wrong.
One sentence on this page illustrates my point:
"  In the US, signals show drivers the speeds they are allowed to go.  They
do not actually need to know how far ahead the line is clear "

They do not need to know how far ahead the line is clear!!! This is so
ridiculous it hardly bears comment. Rest assured Mr. Signal designer that as
an Engineer on the Rio Grande I knew precisely how far ahead the line was
clear.

Even the sentence "In the US, signals show drivers the speeds they are
allowed to go" is 90% wrong. What speed is a clear signal? It can be
anywhere from 5 MPH to 90 MPH. How is that telling you how fast to go?

Please, if you are going to quote webpages at least make sure they are
written with some authority and not hobbyists.

If you are getting your signal practices from these sources I shall remember
not to travel by train when next is Sydney!

Mark