Re: First Automatic signal?

> From: "Chris Downs" <cvdowns@ozemail.com.au>
> Newsgroups: aus.rail
> Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:19:54 +1000
> Subject: Re: First Automatic signal?
>
> "Speed signalling", now that piques my interest.
>
> I have a copy of "Clear Normal Speed" by John Sinnatt (ARHS, Victorian
> Division, 1966) that explains the signalling system in Kensington is detail.
> I assume this is the "speed signalling" Mark refers to.
>
> Why was this signalling system ill-fated?
> Does is still exist in any way, shape or form at Kensington or elsewhere?
>
> Chris

I call VR's speed signalling ill fated because they took a perfectly good
signalling system which told the driver exactly what he needed to know and
bastardised it into a poor imitation of speed signalling and now the system
doesn't help anyone. Why didn't VR just adopt a real speed signalling system
like the poms use if that's what they wanted?

Mark