Re: First Automatic signal?

> Our definitions seem to be quite different here. Having worked as a
driver
> for VR and later as a driver (engineer) for Rio Grande in Colorado
and now
> as a signal maintenance technician for Union Pacific I have perhaps a
unique
> perspective.
>
> I know of nowhere in the US that uses any type of speed signaling.
(Just
> talking about the western US here) The aspects on Union Pacific, BNSF
and
> all of the lines they took over indicate which route you are to take,
(top
> light straight, bottom light diverge) sometimes restrictive aspects
have a
> speed attached that is only used if no other speed is laid down for
that
> locale. For example a red over a green's name is Diverging clear The
> indication is "proceed on diverging route not exceeding prescribed
speed
> through turnout" The speed through the turnout is found in the
timetable.
> Clearly this is not speed signaling but route signaling as it tells
you what
> route you are taking The signal  does not tell you what speed to
travel so
> how can you call this speed signaling?
>
> The pommy system is the best of both worlds as it tells you the route
you
> are taking and gives additional aspects prior to a stop or diverge
needed
> for higher speeds/reduced headways/trains with lower braking efforts
or a
> combinationthereof
>
> Your sentence "Route signaling aspects tell the driver when to begin
> > braking and the signaling is based upon the braking distance to the
> > next signal" makes no sense to me at all. Your defintion does not
even include
> the word route, let alone telling us how it tells you where you are
going

> Glad I could clear this up for you.
>
> Mark

Just to clear up the definition regarding route signalling. I'm not
sure where it got it's name from but that's irrelevant. As a VR driver,
when you approached a VR signal with a particular aspect showing, it
told you what speed to do till the next signal. Correct?? Well in NSW,
QLD, UK if a driver approaches a particular aspect it gives them an
advance warning of a signal ahead. So if they approach a caution aspect
that means to them to start braking because the next signal is at stop.
It doesn't tell them to do 50 kph till the next signal. That's the
fundamental difference between speed signalling and route (for want of
a better word) signalling.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/