Re: First Automatic signal?

In article <395202b1$0$17009$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
  "MattyQ" <mattyq1009@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

> <signal_spotter@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> . I've also
> > designed QR signalling, Roma St (RS2 SSI I/L)
>
> I REALLY wouldn't brag about that!!!!
>
> BTW, why is it that, when systems are being designed or modified,
signal
> engineers NEVER accept feedback from those who actually OPERATE the
system
> on a daily basis, resulting in a system that is difficult to operate
in the
> real world?
>
> --
> Matt Smith
> Brisbane Australia.
>
> Reply to mattyq1009@dingoblue.net.au

I didn't design the scheme plan and control tables for Roma St. Just
the SSI data. The scheme plan and control tables were done by QR Signal
Design. Those boffins should have consulted the operators/drivers etc
to determine the best layout. However in NSW it's the same problem.
Hornsby is a prime example. RSA Signal Design did the scheme plan and
control tables and for reasons only known to them they 'rationalised'
it. I designed the SSI data for it and our company installed and
commissioned it. It was during the Signaller training period that one
of them approached us and said "Where's the ground shunt out of the Car
Sheds on the Up Main". "We used to use that signal all the time". So
now RSA have designed it back in. A classic case of the designer not
talking to the operator. In our defence, when our company does "Turn
Key" signalling projects (ie we design, install and commission the
complete project without interference from the local signalling dept,
if there is one.), we do consult all the relevent parties. We do those
sort of projects in Asia. In Australia the different State Railway
Design offices do the conceptual scheme design. But that's changing.
And the South Coast line (south of Waterfall) is a prime example of
that change. More to come on that later....

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.