Re: Airport Line Lack of Patronage? (NSW, the only state to have oneopen in Australia at the moment)

> >John Dennis wrote:
> >> dedicated trains to the city is the answer - but I would have
> >> run them through the North Sydney, the destination for many
> >> businessman arriving at Mascot.
> >
> >How?
> >
> >1) In, around the City Circle, change direction at Illawarra
> Junction, then to
> >North Sydney
> >2) In, change direction at Central, out to Illawarra Junction,
> >change direction,
> >then to North Sydney
> >3) Out, change direction at Turrella then to North Sydney
>
> Sorry, poorly worded.  I realize that it is impossible to do.  In
> this case my words "I would have run them ..." meant "I would
> have liked to design the railway to allow them to run ..."

Interestingly enough Rail Union representatives did advise against the
then proposal and now present situation at where the Airport line links
the rail network beyond Flying Junctions.  The Union proposal was for
the Airport line to link at a point prior to Flying Junctions thus
enabling the ability to travel via the City Inner/Outer/Shore lines.

The bottleneck off 22/23 platform Central will be eased as I believe
approval has been given to extend the line from 23 platform so as to
travel directly into the Airport line rather via the present route.
When will this take place you ask?.  At this stage Dec 2001.

Mr3801

These views are made in a private
capacity and do not represent the
official views of State Rail.