Re: [NSW] Not enough rolling stock.......

> Would you please describe the "democratic process" by which we had the
> olympics inflicted on us in the first place; and would you also please
> describe the "democratic process" which decided that the olympics
> passengers are more important than the regular passengers? I don't
> seem to recall a referendum on the matter

It is a part of the democratic framework that the public have their
say, with or without formal voting. Taking formal voting as the ONLY way
of demonstrating democracy is a very narrow view of the democratic
process and totally ignores the principles of representative democracy.

At the time of the bid the majority of the public were in support of the
bid, if they had not been the gevernment of the day would have been
ousted. If public opinion was 50% or greater behind a "no olympics"
push, I'm sure the opposition would have launched a motion of no
confidence against the government and won with the support of minor
parties. The government rarely forces legislation down the throats of an
unwilling public. The mass celebration and hysteria after the successful
bid would be some evidence of the support for the bid.

When Sydney won the bid, it became HOST city for the 2000 olympic games.
If you hold a dinner party and somehow end up with fewer seats than
guests as a part of being a good host I'm sure you'd offer your seat to
a guest. You wouldn't tell the guest to "this is my house get your own
seat". The population of Syndey are hosts to the olympics and as a part
of being a good host the public must make some sacrifices one of which
is space in public transport.

> I don't even recall any political party putting the latter proposition
> in its policies before an election so that the voters could cast any
> judgment on it. Perhaps my memory is faulty.

If examine the actions and documents of past state governments you will
see that the olympics have been on the cards since the Wran government.
Parliament has considered launching bids previously but declined due to
various factors. Sydney was always going to get the games, provided
Melbourne didn't beat us to it.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.