Re: Yet more radios needed

>The one thing I've found really absurd, is 469.700mhz, being the Victorian
>local frequency is so far away from the allocated space. Same as per NSW
>450.050mhz.

>IMHO, All that is needed Australia wide, are 100 allocated frequencies
>(less even) allocated for various purposes. e.g.

>Freq 1: Victoria, non metro north east standard guage: Somerton-Albury.
>Freq 2: NSW, non metro main south line: Albury-Goulburn, etc.

>Of course, to be allocated according to control areas. Allocate 2-5 common
>local range direct (simplex) channels. Allow driver-driver, guard-
>driver(s), or in short, everyone who should need to talk to someone, able
>to talk to them.

>The system should use a system that is already established as an industry
>standard (e.g. trunking [MPT1327 ???]) and/or a simplex/repeater system for
>areas of a fixed comms base, e.g. shunters, yards.

>Then once we've fixed the radio system, come up with a common set of
>safeworking systems nationwide...

>Just some thoughts (medication time again!)

>Michael

Very difficult today to find 100 common channels Australia ,and very expensive
also.
Its really to late , the existing systems wont change their current comms
infrastructure, we basically are stuck with it , as unfortunately also we are
stuck with the safeworking mess.

Rather than see millions poured into fixing all these problems ,if indeed they
could be fixed,it would be better to simply subsidise the existing and new
players to compensate them for all the multiplicity of systems.
Such a subsidy could simply be the total abolition of track access charges
which are really nothing more than a disguised tax.

MD