Re: Yet more radios needed

> One of the most fundamental and obvious problems that arise whan a single
> organization is broken up into smaller but autonomous groups like the old
> NSWGR has been, is that every group then wants to do its own thing,and the
> basic logic of having a single radio system that all of the parts can use is
> simply lost.
> This problem has manifested itself Nationwide since 1980 when Vline went
> Motorola and all the other systems then introduced their own and incompatible
> radio systems,ie the well being of the whole industry is simply ignored.
> Contrast the mess we now have in the Rail industry with the aviation industry
> where we have a single worldwide accepted standard for radio comms.
> Its just a matter of good will and common sense ,of which in the Rail industry
> there is neither.
>
> MD
I agree whole heartedly Maurie.
There should be an allocated band for Rail use. This could be a trunking
system with Simplex Repeaters as well. Then depending on what
area you are travelling through you select the appropriate channel.

With the Metro Net and Country Net systems they don't trust drivers
to be able to work out where they are and change channels to suit.
This causes all sorts of problem when the system can't find out
where it is. ie. when the GPS on a Locomotive isn't working.

They could have bought off the self radio systems that would work
with only minor programming changes but instead they had to over
Engineer it all.

that's progress for you!

--

Pope