Re: mixing loco parts

----------
In article <388c3107.0@iridium.webone.com.au>, "Derick Wuen"
<cullend@webone.com.au> wrote:

>4. Makes you wonder what a "locomotive" is.... like my father's axe, which
>has only had 2 new heads and 3 new handles, its as good as new.

I have a feeling this concept has had a bashing on aus.rail before quite
some time ago.  I think the general feeling was that if a locomotive can
have tender, boiler, wheels, motion gear all changed over then the only
defining part of a loco is the frame. In that case, what will puffing billy
do with G42, which has a new frame.
It's safe to say the only thing defining a loco at any stage of its life is
the number the operator chooses it to carry for reference purposes. After
all, numbers have changes frequently in some states to suit the railways
numbering needs.

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne