Re: Departure-side (tram) stops

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:45:10 GMT, Vaughan Williams
<ender2000@my-deja.com> wrote:

>I agree that the way the present traffic light cycles are set up youre
>right.
>
>However with proper traffic light priority trams would rarely have to
>stop at traffic lights, which would be set up to detect a tram and
>change to a green when instructed by the driver. In such a situation
>far side stops could help stop the tram missing the lights. Equally
>though, stopping at the traffic lights and the driver using a button to
>change the lights when passengers have boarded would be just as
>convenient.

Fine in theory, but what about the cars which would surely bank up
across the intersection while the tram unloaded and loaded.  I think
such an idea might well lead to massive congestion on the roads.  It
is bad enough now when trams stop at intersections and just miss the
traffic lights.

Priority for trams is an excellent idea, but it should be triggered by
the driver when the tram is ready to move.

Cheers...JD

John Dennis                             jdennis@mpx.com.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia                   Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
DBT URL:  http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jdennis/dbt.html