Re: Departure-side (tram) stops

I agree that the way the present traffic light cycles are set up youre
right.

However with proper traffic light priority trams would rarely have to
stop at traffic lights, which would be set up to detect a tram and
change to a green when instructed by the driver. In such a situation
far side stops could help stop the tram missing the lights. Equally
though, stopping at the traffic lights and the driver using a button to
change the lights when passengers have boarded would be just as
convenient.

I'd say it should be done on a case by case basis. For example, at
Swanston & Victoria St, most of the passengers on northbound trams (I'm
reliably informed by one such passenger) are heading for the office
buildings on the northern side of Vic St. At the moment, the tram
starts off from Swanston/Franklin and then stops at Vic St to load and
unload. By the time it does that, the lights have turned yellow so a
long delay results because the sequence, as usual, favours Victoria St
commuters (one to a car) over the trams. The passengers then have to
wait for the lights to cycle to cross the street and get to their
offices!

One place where the far side stop is very sensible is at Nicholson &
Gertrude Sts. Before, there were two tram stops and passengers had to
juggle them. Its a bit hard to explain in plain text - see
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~rmclean/what/places/fitztrst.html for more
information.

In article <zNTi4.2424$YM1.4347@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>,
  "Ronald BESDANSKY" <ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote:
> I have had some discussions with people over the years about the
merits of
> these as far as the passengers are concerned. As far as I can see,
they're a
> bad idea. On at least SOME occasions, the tram will arrive at the
stop with
> the signal red, and passengers can board and alight whilst the tram is
> waiting for the signal to change to green, so the two waiting periods
> overlap. With departure-side stops, this can never happen. Additional
time
> and energy is wasted in the tram having to stop TWICE, once for the
signal
> and once for the passengers.
>
> As far as I can see, departure-side stops are foisted on tram and bus
> operators by road traffic authorities, for the supposed benefit of
other
> road users. I can't see how they can ever benefit passengers. Isn't it
> frustrating, especially when it's raining, to see your tram having to
wait
> on the other side of the intersection for the traffic lights to
change so
> you can get on?
>
> My diatribe was inspired by noting on a recent visit to Melbourne
that the
> west-bound stop in Flinders St at Swanston St is now a departure-side
stop.
> I think it is a trend that should be resisted. I grant it is probably
> justifiable where routes combine so that a passenger wishing to
travel on
> the common section of route has a choice of using trams from both
branches
> (e.g. Flinders St westbound at Exhibition St and Spring St). But as a
> general thing, I'm ag'in it!
>
> --
> Rgds
>
> Ron BESDANSKY