Departure-side (tram) stops

I have had some discussions with people over the years about the merits of
these as far as the passengers are concerned. As far as I can see, they're a
bad idea. On at least SOME occasions, the tram will arrive at the stop with
the signal red, and passengers can board and alight whilst the tram is
waiting for the signal to change to green, so the two waiting periods
overlap. With departure-side stops, this can never happen. Additional time
and energy is wasted in the tram having to stop TWICE, once for the signal
and once for the passengers.

As far as I can see, departure-side stops are foisted on tram and bus
operators by road traffic authorities, for the supposed benefit of other
road users. I can't see how they can ever benefit passengers. Isn't it
frustrating, especially when it's raining, to see your tram having to wait
on the other side of the intersection for the traffic lights to change so
you can get on?

My diatribe was inspired by noting on a recent visit to Melbourne that the
west-bound stop in Flinders St at Swanston St is now a departure-side stop.
I think it is a trend that should be resisted. I grant it is probably
justifiable where routes combine so that a passenger wishing to travel on
the common section of route has a choice of using trams from both branches
(e.g. Flinders St westbound at Exhibition St and Spring St). But as a
general thing, I'm ag'in it!

--
Rgds

Ron BESDANSKY