Re: Queensland Railways [Was: etc. etc.]

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:14:01 GMT, ianst@refer.to.sig.au (Ian Staples)
wrote:

>Of course, later on, in the late 50s, there was the serious problem of
>surviving that stretch from Gladstone to Marlborough where you could
>only get that awful Rockhampton beer (Mac's, IIRC).  From Marlborough
>north you were back in familiar Cairns draught territory.  (Not that
>it was a worry to we sub-21 students of course. ;-)

Before they introduced the Sunlander, one of the great memories I have
was the railway restuarants. As a kid and non drinker, I would watch in
amazement as the train slowly pulled in to say Ingham, and before it had
stopped, there was a flood of people streaming off for, not food, but
beer.

Later I lived in Melbourne and the six o'clock swill, so I got an
appreciation of the 30 minutes of hurley burley for an otherwise sleepy
town.

Owen