Re: Queensland Railways [Was: etc. etc.]

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:14:01 GMT, ianst@refer.to.sig.au (Ian Staples)
wrote:

>I can't be sure how *easy* it was to go back and forth by train between
>Cairns and Brisbane in the 40s, but I *think* we managed it in '47
>without too much trouble (though I wasn't personally involved in the
>bookings at that time :-).

Bookings needed to be made a month in advance. It was a great source of
pocket money (a quid) for me. Knowing people who wanted sleeper tickets
in the peak periods, I would go to the Cairns station at 4pm and stay
the night, giving my position up to the ticket buyer at 8am.

Only once was I not first, (I was second) and one night the queue grew
to 19 for tickets, but only the first 10 got what they wanted. Still
have no idea of the basis for allocating tickets.

Long time ago now

Owen