Re: Queensland Railways [Was: etc. etc.]

Ian Staples <ianst@refer.to.sig.au> wrote:

> Actually, I thought the bit across the flats around St Lawrence was among
> the best sections of the trip -- it was a type of country I wasn't familiar
> with and the highway didn't go that way then, so you couldn't see it from
> the road.  Also, IIRC, you got to see it from the windows of the dining car
> (at lunch time?) which added to the interest.

I was referring to the khaki brown bladey grass open forest country with
gullies still containing the odd prickly pear tree. (Possibly
interspersed with claypan, I can't remember). I really have no idea
where it was, just that it was somewhere between Rockhampton and ....
(who knows how far north or west). I'm sure anyone stranded there would
have been glad to have so many crows for company. :-)

That last 100k into Cairns was truly awesome however (I think they
called it the "sugarcane corridor").  Canefields, volcanic soil,
tropical rainforest, mountain peaks disappearing into rain cloud. That
was the triumphal ending that had everyone sitting upright gazing out
their windows.. It made the whole trip worth the effort.

(Anyone contemplating the trip however, should check first that the best
sections are passed through during daylight hours.  The next best
section - the 100 Km north from Brisbane - used to be traversed at night
IIRC.)

Cheers

--
Neville Duguid         * PC Political Science: "The insane should have *
nevilled@netspace.net.au * the same rights as everyone else. Anyone  *