Re: Departure-side (tram) stops

: My diatribe was inspired by noting on a recent visit to Melbourne that the
: west-bound stop in Flinders St at Swanston St is now a departure-side stop.
: I think it is a trend that should be resisted. I grant it is probably
: justifiable where routes combine so that a passenger wishing to travel on
: the common section of route has a choice of using trams from both branches
: (e.g. Flinders St westbound at Exhibition St and Spring St). But as a
: general thing, I'm ag'in it!

The simple reason for the departur side stop in Flinders Street west bound
is to allow room for construction of Fed. Sq.  once the construction is
at a stage where there is a footpath on the south-east courner of
Flinders/Swanston street then there will be a tram stop there again.

As for the others, they have their local resons for departure side stops.
Like right turn lanes, common route joining spots etc...

: --
: Rgds

: Ron BESDANSKY

--