Re: What's with cityrail?

A comment from the other side of the ditch.

Couldn't agree more with the comments about landmarks, that was the way I
was taught to drive when I was a Loco Assistant learning the craft. Road
knowledge is another important aspect of been a successful Locomotive
Engineer.
My worry is now with single manning, when ever the training programme ever
gets underway, where will the new breed learn the tricks of the trade. My
career as an Loco Assistant was 6 years (and much of that time was spent
cleaning windows, floors and making the driver endless cups of tea, but if
you were with a regular mate and you did your job they soon let you loose at
the controls so you could learn first hand), they're talking abouth 6 months
for some one new, scary stuff!

Richard Norton
LE Palmerston North NZ