What's with cityrail?

Hi all,
I'm new to this group. My interest in trains is not that great but I
do catch one to work and back each weekday. I was involved in a minor
de-railment today at Hornsby station. I'm not sure of the technical

terms but it overshot the platform and I've noticed at hornsby, when
there is a red light at the end of the platform, the track director
thing is placed in the middle. So that the left side want to go to the
left track and the right wants to go right. I knew it was serious when
the pentographs were retracted so I got a lift home.
I'm not sure if you have noticed but I think our rail system is going
down the train a bit. This is not a reaction to major accidents that
have made it to tv, just my own experince. This morning the driver
left two carriages hanging off the end of the platform at st-leonards.
despite the shouts from the people who wanted to get off, the guard
shut the doors and took off. next stop norht sydney (where I get out).
A guard was going into the last two carriages with a hand-held radio.
The people who wanted to get off a SL told the train guard off.
I'd like to know what people in the know like you have to say about
the state of the serice?
I'm not trying to cause trouble, just interested to know.
Thanks

               \