Re: What's with cityrail?

 Well I think the biggest problem with the public`s opinion of the railways
is that, the public just do not understand what is involved with running a
railway. All the public really think is that a driver pushes 1 button and the
train goes and stop automatically. Ive heard such rediculous assumptions from
the public that I have literally laughed in their faces once Ive heard them.
Now I am an ETR driver and I am speaking now from the drivers point of view.
I do not represent anyone and this is all my opinion. At Hornsby station on
platforms 1 & 2, these platforms are extremely tight to fit an 8 car train
fully on them. The problem is, the driver has to pull the train right up so
that the trip is only a few inches away from the trip arm on the ground. If
you fall short by about a foot, the trains rear end will be hanging over the
block joint, and therefore tracklock the signalbox from doing any manouvres
until the train is off of that block joint. Now at a busy place like Hornsby,
that can mean alot. Also, trains do not stop on a dime,  and the brakes
sometimes arent as reliable as the railways claim they should be. It could
have been something like, as the train was pulling into Hornsby, the electric
brake and EP may have tripped out, and the automatic (westinghouse) brake
tried to kick in but it doesnt kick in instantly. It takes at least a good 5
seconds for the westinghouse brakes to take effect and by which time, youre
out the other end, through the jacks and in the "dirt".  Also, with St
Leonards regarding the over-shoot, as I said before, trains do not stop on a
dime, some trains have very poor brakes and there could be other factors,
like, was there rain or water on the track?  I dont know if any of this makes
sense. Im sure alot of it doesnt, but if you need any terms explained in more
detail, Im sure someone will be glad to help.

--
CityRail driver, and big fan of HO and 5", 71/4" guage trains

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.